Wednesday, July 4, 2007

For those of you who thought...

...this blog was going to end up being a high-level jaunt through the strategery of startup and business affairs, be forewarned, things are about to get crazy technical!

New ideas abound and in order to deep dive back into the guts of the latest and greatest tools, I'm back at it again. Now, having been one of the first 5,000 people certified on .NET (Charter MCAD, for what it's worth now, I think I lost the special "I Love Bill G." wallet card), I'm quite surprised that the tools are still pretty much the same after all this time. Granted, I took about a year or so off from programming (instead of typing the code, I was architecting, reviewing, testing, managing, and businessing), so I kinda thought things would be farther along with the M$ toolkit. I mean, I've personally reviewed Silverlight, Expression Blend, and all that jazz... but it still isn't quite the bees knees I expect $50B to generate. Maybe the India effort didn't quite yield the success that Microsoft was looking for?

Being the eclectic entrepreneur that I am, all this stuff perpetually disappoints me anyway. Things should just be easier, which is why I'm ticked at MS and still (after all the hype) a fan of the folks at 37signals. I've had the occasional frolic down the Java road as well as Ruby on Rails (which by the way, does hurt a little bit for a Microsoftie) but it doesn't seem like the black turtle neck and European-style glasses that don't have any optical value have really been a good fit for me.

Although the fashion is not quite my style, the ever-wise technology sages of my mind are still out deciding, and here I am, choosing the platform for my latest world-changing effort. My knowledge and experience lie with the monopolizers, but the gleam of freshness from the latest and greatest are piquing my interest. Plus, it would seem to me that developer rates for these have polarized, pretty much irrespective of the country you outsource to - meaning, that in Pakistan .NET rates = Anti .NET rates, within ~5%, just like the U.S.

And alas, wretched business fundamentals are forever quenching my desire to spend several months getting my product to market! Stay tuned...

No comments: